Distilled Water for Hair Care
There are so many uses for distilled water, but you may not have thought of using distilled water for hair washing and rinsing. If you would like your hair to look shinier and healthier, we highly recommend using distilled water instead of your regular tap water. Distilled water is pure and free from any hard mineral build up or harsh chemicals like chlorine. This makes distilled water an excellent addition to your hair care regimen.
Commonly Asked Questions
How to Wash Your Hair with Distilled Water
The first step is to distill some water, and we recommend using one of our made in the USA water distillers. An automatic water distiller like the Midi Classic or Mega Classic provides enough water for a family of four to use for drinking, cooking, and hair washing. With a manual countertop water distiller, like the Mini Classic CT, you will need to make more than a gallon of distilled water a day if one intends to use about one gallon for hair care.
How Much Distilled Water Do I Need to Wash My Hair?
If you have short hair or only use shampoo and not a conditioner, your water needs will be significantly less. However, long hair will require more water, and of course, if you intend to condition your hair, you will likely need double the initial amount. If one is careful not to use too much shampoo or conditioner, you will probably use less than a gallon of distilled water to wash your hair. A lot of people make the mistake of using too much shampoo or conditioner. You really only need a small amount of each.
Steps to Washing Your Hair with Distilled Water
- Collect your distilled water.
- Warm your distilled water in a large pot, but take care not to make it too hot. If you do, let it cool before using it. Normal bathwater is about 98 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take your pot and pour some water into a container that is easier to manage while washing your hair. You might want to put the water into a large bowl of some kind and have a cup that you can scoop water with, or perhaps you would like to use something with a small pour spout.
- Shampoo your hair with a natural shampoo if possible. Did you know you can make shampoo with distilled water? We’ve included a recipe below. The type of shampoo you select can make a big difference in your hair’s health.
- Rinse your hair with distilled water.
- If using conditioner, use a small amount and then rinse that out with distilled water as well.
- Pat your hair gently to dry. We recommend not using a hairdryer for the best results.
- Brush your hair gently with a brush that doesn’t tug at it. If your hair is longer, start at the ends so as not to pull on it or create knots. You might only really need a very wide-toothed comb.
- Consider not washing your hair daily to preserve the natural oils in your hair.
The main reason that distilled water is the best water for your hair is that it does not contain any minerals like magnesium or calcium like hard water does. Hard water leaves deposits on your faucets, glassware, and yes, even on your hair. To keep your hair shiny and natural-looking for years to come, switch to distilled water and wait for the compliments to roll in!
The Convenience of Distilled Water at Home
Have your own supply of distilled water with one of our manual countertop water distillers or our fantastic automatic water distillers. Distilled water can be used for clean, fresh drinking water, ice, cooking, baby formula, plants, pets, for irons, humidifiers, and much more. Say no to bottled water and plastic waste and protect yourself and your family from known and unknown contaminants.
Mini Classic Countertop Water Distiller
With a capacity of approximately 3 liters per three and one-half hour cycle, this manually filled distiller is perfect for a single user, renters or a small family. It’s also perfect for use in a camper or RV, or taken to a second home for distilled water enjoyment away from home.
Midi Classic Automatic Water Distiller
The Midi Classic Automatic Water Distiller has the capacity to make one gallon of distilled water every three and one-half hours and is the ideal unit for a family or small business. This distiller holds approximately five gallons of pure water in its stainless steel holding tank.
Mega Classic Automatic Water Distiller
If you desire the ultimate in convenience and faster production, the Mega-Classic Automatic Water Distiller is perfect for you! It produces 12 gallons of distilled water per day and is equipped with a 10 storage tank.